Genealogy: Where you confuse the dead & irritate the living....


Surnames: Calaway, Dunn, Evans, Johnson, Lindsey, Rollins, Short & Williams


States: Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, S. Carolina, Tennessee, Texas

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Original Post From 20 Sep 2007

Hello to anyone reading this. :) I finally decided to start my journal on what is going on with my family's genealogy project. First off, I guess I need to admit that as much as I love genealogy, it also drives me crazy.....but in a good way. lol Sometimes it can confuse me like nothing else does, then there are the times when I feel like I have just discovered gold or something. But isn't that the way genealogy is supposed to be?

Anyhoo, a few months ago I was able to find a second cousin that everyone in the family had lost touch with for over 30 some odd years. And believe me, that was a wonderful feeling. I was doing a search on one of his uncles in the obituary database, when I happen to run across my 1st cousin's wife's name. In pulling up the obit, I found that in fact it was my cousins & it listed all of their names & where they were living at the time of her death. Which was only about 4 years ago. I took a big chance & looked them all up in a phone directory for that town. Though by this time only one of the kids was still listed as living there. Then I took my 2nd big chance & wrote him a letter....after 2 weeks of not hearing back, I just figured I had it either all wrong & it wasn't our kin or he wasn't interested in making contact. Life has a way of playing with you, cause right then I had decided that was a lost cause, when lo & behold, the very next day I get a letter back from him! To highlight what happen....we exchange phone numbers & talked for hours. Then he came down for a visit, he was so anxious to meet his great aunt. After that, we talked a few times, but now it has been several months since I've heard from him, so I guess it's back to not having him in our family. ***sigh***

OK, I think I'll stop there for now. Maybe I'll put another story about one of my finds on here. If anyone should actually read this & they know of others that are interested in Genealogy, please let me know how to get in touch with them. I have an account on LJ (Live Journal) too & they have "communities" where you can join those that share the same interests as you, does Blogger have anything like that too?

Later, Deb

(((Note: I started this new Blog for just my genealogy posts....so I went to my old blog & copied this original post (dated: 20 Sep 2007) from it.)))

No comments: