Genealogy: Where you confuse the dead & irritate the living....


Surnames: Calaway, Dunn, Evans, Johnson, Lindsey, Rollins, Short & Williams


States: Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, S. Carolina, Tennessee, Texas

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Original Post From 03 Feb 2009

We have four bedrooms in our home. One is for my brother, second one is mine, third one was for my Mom (before she passed away) & the last one was "supposed" to be a spare bedroom, for when guests came to spend the night. Notice I said "supposed"....cause it slowly turned into (how do I put this?) oh OK, a BIG ol' JUNK room, its that simple. Seriously! While we were moving in two years ago on the 2nd day, we just gave out on moving boxes & trying to get them organized. So of course, what better plans than to stick those boxes & such, that we knew we didn't need to get into right now, into the spare bedroom. My heart was in the right place, I was always going to tackle the room & finish unpacking everything & put everything where it should have gone. People that was over two years ago & as of a couple of weeks ago, it still looked the same! No, I take that back, it looked worse.....cause over time, I just kept sticking things in there. It finally got to where if I put much of anything more in there, you wouldn't have been able to close the door! lol I laugh but it's sad.....

Anyhoo, Mom passed away in October & I felt bad that I never really got the room ready & had unpacked some of her stuff. And it's been weighing on my heart that I didn't do that. Like I said earlier, within the last few weeks, I've been just taking it a day at a time & slowly going through everything. Some days I might work a couple of hours & other days I really get on a roll & work for 4+ hours on it.

Now in saying all of that, you're probably are wondering just what does that have to do with genealogy? Don't worry, I'd be thinking the same thing myself if I was you. heehee

The way all of this ties into the subject of genealogy is finding old family photos that I didn't know about. As well as finding Mom's certificate from when she graduated (in 1937) from high school & her autograph book she had when she was in school. (((Oh I bet she would have loved to have seen that again & could have gone down memory lane one more time))) I've even found a wooden box that was full of letters, postcards & Christmas cards. When I first started going through it, all I was seeing are letters written to a lady that I had never heard of. Back when my Dad was alive, he used to go to auctions & buy all kinds of stuff & I just figured this wooden box was one of the things he acquired. But in going through everything in that box, I found a few postcards written by Papa (my mother's dad) to his 2nd wife & some written by her to him. Among the things was also a card from Social Security to my granddaddy (my dad's dad) letting him know his SS#. Now I don't know who the box originally belong to, what with it having a few things from both sets of grandparents. Definitely a mystery there.....hopefully once I get a chance, I can do a bit of detective work & find out who this other lady is & if she is related to us or not. If it turns out she's not related, I'm hoping to at least find some of her relatives & pass them on to them if they are interested.

My mother learned how to crochet & knit at the age of 8 years old. In going through some of the things in the "junk" room, I've found several old pieces of work that she has done over the years. Looking at a few of them, I'm even thinking that my grandmother (my dad's mother) made some of them. That is a wonderful treasure to discover!

So yes, even though this started out as "I so need to clean out that junk room" type project, it has definitely had its rewards along with doing it. Not only finally getting it all organized, but finding some wonderful genealogy treasures. :) I'm hoping there's still some more treasures to be found, as I have several more boxes & such to go through. Well, you never know, right? :)

Later, DebJo

(((Note: I started this new Blog for just my genealogy posts....so I went to my old blog & copied this original post (dated: 03 Feb 2009) from it.)))

No comments: